|Traditional methods and devices of monitoring of environmental contamination by radiocesium require expensive equipment, troublesome and time-consuming operations, such as:
- – Samples should be taken from the studied material of 0.5 l or 1,0 l, which is not always possible (destroys the integrity of the tested object);
- – Sample material should be crushed to be placed in an inconveniently-shaped vessel of 0.5 or 1,0 l (inconvenient, messy and sometimes just impossible);
- – Selected samples should be brought to the laboratory, where the spectrometer-radiometer operated by a specially trained operator is located;
- – A vessel with sample should be placed in a lead shielding for measurement;
- – Before placing the vessel with sample for measurement, it is necessary to measure the background radiation level without it (long measurement time required – from tens of minutes to several hours);
- – Measurement of the very sample placed in a lead shielding is also rather time-consuming (from tens of minutes and longer);
- – Despite all these troubles, you are not safe from blunders in case the sample have been taken from a wrong place (when contamination is uneven).
Creating a new concept of radiation control, we have simplified the process of measurement with no loss of measurement quality, but on the contrary, we have improved and expanded measurement capabilities of the device.
VIRTUOSO performs the same task on activity measurement with the following advantages:
- – Everything is measured without sampling, i.e. by simply putting the device to the tested object (material, product, soil, etc.) or by holding it over the studied surfaces;
- – The studied object does not require advance preparation, no need to waste and destroy materials or packaging;
- – The study is done immediately on-site, no need to take samples to laboratories;
- – A professional radiologist and an inexperienced user can both be a measurement operator;
- – No need in any bulky lead shielding in the process of measurement;
- – No need to waste time measuring background at all, this task is solved in a fundamentally different way;
- – Measurement time has been minimized, the approximate result becomes available in 5 seconds, and then measurement continues to obtain more accurate values;
- – Not a small material sample taken from a random place is being examined, but quite a large area at once, which increases the monitoring quality and reduces the risk of overlooking local contamination.