No, you can’t. Cell phones emanate electromagnetic radiation of radiofrequency range, while ECOTEST TM instruments measure ionizing radiation.
It is impossible to sense radiation. Only the dosimeters will help you to find out about the level of radiation.
Radiation background is the low level radioactive emanation. It comes from the outer space (cosmic), and the ground (terrestrial) under natural conditions of the atmosphere.
An alpha particle is a helium nucleus, an ionized helium atom. Alpha particles are comparatively large and cannot penetrate much more than a sheet of paper or a few inches of air. But if materials that emit alpha particles are inhaled, ingested or enter your body through a cut in your skin, they can be very harmful.
Beta radiation is a flow of electrons. Beta radiation obtains higher permeability and penetrates organism tissues at the depth of 1-2 cm. It cannot be stopped by a sheet of paper. Some beta particles can be stopped by human skin, but some need a thicker shield (like wood) to stop them. Just like alpha particles, beta particles can also cause serious damage to your health if they are inhaled or swallowed.
Gamma rays are the most penetrating of these three types of radiation. Gamma rays will penetrate paper, skin, wood, and other substances. Like alpha and beta particles, they are also harmful if inhaled, ingested or absorbed. To protect yourself from gamma rays, you need a shield at least as thick as a concrete wall. This type of radiation causes severe damage to your internal organs.
In accordance with the “Norms of Radiation Safety of Ukraine”, maximum permissible level of gamma background is 0.30 µSv/h.
The instruments are under 2-years (free) warranty servicing from the date of purchase.
Warranty and post-warranty repair is done only by the manufacturer. In case of breakdown send the device for repair to the following address:
PE “SPPE “Sparing-Vist Center”
33 Volodymyr Velyky str., Lviv, 79026, Ukraine
tel.: +380322421515, fax: +380322422015
“ECOTEST” instruments contain no radioactive elements and are not hazardous to health (except for the MKS-U with the kit that includes the holder with control radiation source 137Cs).
Yes, it is. Equivalent dose and equivalent dose rate of gamma radiation is measured irrespectively of the selected operating mode if the dosimeter is switched on. At exceeded gamma radiation threshold level, the dosimeters automatically enter the mode of gamma radiation equivalent dose rate measurement and start audio alarming followed by the blinking signal on the display.
Yes, it is. The alarm clock is on even if the power supply of the dosimeter is off (in case, the batteries are inserted).
Not necessarily. The dosimeter operates with the power saving function, which means that the display automatically switches off in five minutes after the last performed operation (audio signaling, switching the alarm clock on or pressing any button). Press shortly the THRESHOLD button to check if the dosimeter is off and the power saving function is active. No readings on the display mean that the dosimeter is switched off.
You can use the dosimeter during a couple of hours if the dosimeter is operating under natural gamma background. The higher radiation level, the sooner the complete discharge of the battery will take place.
MKS-05 “TERRA” and “ТERRA-P” are recommended by the Ministry of Education of Ukraine for use in educational process.
Both dosimeters are of “ECOTEST” trademark. They have the same design and almost the same weight. Distinctive features:
- the main difference is in the application of the dosimeters: “TERRA” – is a professional “protocol” dosimeter for official measurements, and “TERRA-P” – is a household dosimeter for everyday use: for apartment radiation safety, for work and resort places radiation safety, for evaluation of radiation contamination of foodstuff.
- you can distinguish between them from the first sight due to their color: the professional device is in the black case, while the household – in the yellow one;
- equivalent dose rate range measured by “TERRA-P” is narrower than that of the professional device: “TERRA” range – 0.1…9 999 µSv/h, “TERRA-P” range – 0.1…999.9 µSv/h;
- basic relative errors also differ: “TERRA” error – 15%, “TERRA-P” error – 25 %. This is relevant for professional users.
- “TERRA” measures surface beta-particles flux density, while “TERRA-P” only evaluates the surface contamination by beta radionuclides;
- battery life of the household device is 6 000 hrs, while of the professional one – 2 000 hrs;
- operating temperature range of the professional device is from -20°С to +50 °С, and of the household one – from -10 °С;
- the professional device has five independent measuring channels, while “TERRA-P” has only three measuring channels;
- besides, “ТЕRRA” is the equipment choice for the Ministry of Defence and the border services of Ukraine;
- both devices are recommended by the Scientific-Methodical Council under the Ministry of Education of Ukraine for use in educational process in secondary schools.